Favorite Quote:
"I don't want to work any more. It's not that I hate my job, I just don't want to get up and go there every day. I think that's common with guys our age; we're done. I just want to ride motorcycles. My wife doesn't understand this."

~ E.P. 09/08/2008

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Woodstock Vintage Cycle Ride 2010

For a change of pace -- well, I guess the pace was mostly the same -- or rather, a change of venue, we decided this week to meet up with a group of people heading over to Woodstock, NY for the annual Vintage Cycle Ride. 5 of us met up at a Stewart’s and then took a little trip south to C. & K.’s house, joining a group gathering for the trip. As I think of it now, I failed to count the total number of bikes, but we split into two groups, one planning to move a little quicker. Seven bikes left in that line with a couple fewer in the second wave.




The ride down was maybe 50 miles of back roads and pretty entertaining. I was thinking that today was going to be a slower, more vintage type day and was told there would be a crawl of all bikes from the assembly area in Woodstock over to the restaurant for lunch, so I brought the ZRX for it’s more moderate riding position and cushier seat. I got lucky and was in second position in the line and it was a brisk pace all the way. Luckily, I was riding fairly well for not having spent a lot of seat time on this bike lately. Even with a couple diversions, missed turns and double-backs, our group arrived about an hour early.

I can’t remember the name of the meeting place, but it looked like this:


I do not know today’s definition of a vintage motorcycle, but I’d estimate half the bikes here were less than 25 years old. Quite a few were clearly older than that, but many seemed to be from the 70’s - 90’s. About noon everyone mounted up and rode 30 miles or so to the place arranged for lunch. Traffic was blocked off for everyone to exit and parade through town. A couple miles along, our group chose to go our own way and this leg of the ride was still quite a bit slower than desired, partly due to wet roads and a few minutes of rain. We still arrived about 15 minutes early and got first shot at the way overpriced sandwich buffet!

A group of 5 of us left for home on a circuitous route, on some great roads and back on pace. That was going along very well until Ed suffered a mechanical failure. He was able to get home, but is likely facing some rebuild effort on the RZ350. Overall, a good ride day and I racked up 176 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment