Favorite Quote:
"I don't want to work any more. It's not that I hate my job, I just don't want to get up and go there every day. I think that's common with guys our age; we're done. I just want to ride motorcycles. My wife doesn't understand this."

~ E.P. 09/08/2008

Monday, June 21, 2010

Ride to Work Day, 2010

As you may be aware, today was designated Ride To Work Day. I know that this has been going on for many years now, but I have not ridden to work since 1995. I used to ride consistently prior to that whenever the weather permitted, to the tune of several thousand miles per year. I remember how every year on the first day I would walk into my building, bundled up and lips too cold to talk, and the guard would say “It must be spring....”.

Then we moved to another building and there was no reasonably secure place for motorcycle parking as cars and trucks would vie for every square inch and then play Create A Space. The past few years I’ve been working from home, so what I do is see my kids off to school or summer camp, suit up and head out on a ride for about an hour, ending up back at my house, put everything away and return to my work day.

Today I took the day off from work in celebration of my birthday. In honor of this, I decided I would go out for a 50 mile run. As it turned out, I went 100 miles.

Motorcycle 2009 Kawasaki ZX6R


I don’t mean about 100 miles either. I had to run around my block to pick up that last seven tenths. It’s not a perfect world.

I chose the ZX6 today as it’s partly a birthday present and it’s just so smooth to ride, though I admit I’m still getting used to it. I would not complain if the bars were a bit higher and wider in angle. Because of this tight configuration, I occasionally find I’m having to give conscience thought to counter steering, which is unnatural. It was also reinforced this past weekend while riding with friends on larger bikes, that I have to be mindful of gear selection as I now lack liter bike grunt.

I’m not complaining, just adapting. While riding today, I again thought about the pull-start, lawn mower engine, friction-plate brake mini-bikes I learned to ride 40 years ago, and all the hot summer days I spent on them. And what a blast I had. On to a QA50, then a KE100 and then an F11. Running an RD350 and then KZ400 on the street. And on and on, up to this amazing machine I was on today.

I do not know how many years I will continue to ride, but I was joking with a friend a while back that I hope to be bombing around a retirement village on a small electric motorcycle while the old guys are playing bumper cars with their golf carts   :)

ride ‘em if you got ‘em

No comments:

Post a Comment