Favorite Quote:
"I don't want to work any more. It's not that I hate my job, I just don't want to get up and go there every day. I think that's common with guys our age; we're done. I just want to ride motorcycles. My wife doesn't understand this."

~ E.P. 09/08/2008

Saturday, June 4, 2005

Americade report, 1997

Joann and I went up to Americade yesterday. It turned out to be a very good weather week -- stupid forecasters. We got there around 7:30 and waited in line to register, and were heading up to Roaring Brook Ranch at about 8:15. We went to the Kawasaki line first, as she wanted to ride the ZX600E, which was the bike she was considering buying before she saw the RF600R that she did buy. I wanted to ride the ZX7R, but of course, by the time we got to the head of the line, that one was booked. I took a ZX600R that was available at the same time slot.

While we waited in that line, I walked up to the hill to the Yamaha area to see if like last year, all they brought was a contingent of Stars; woo hoo. They are either marketing this new model very hard, or the market wants it very much. I am disappointed that they no longer bring the whole line as they always had the best sportbike rides, which is different than the best sport bikes...  ;)

I scoped the Honda line, which was huge, and eyeballed the Triumph line. By the time we finished with Kawi, the Triumph line had dispersed -- a sure sign that they were booked. They only had 6 bikes with them. We strolled up to the Honda area and I saw that they had two F3 600's and 2 what-ever XX's, but the big board showed that they were already booked up.

We then wandered up to the BMW area and as there was still a line, got in it. They ran out right in front of us, but we filled out the form anyway and were listed as #2 standby; show up at the time of the rides and see if anyone else didn't...

We went down to the village to the vendor area as I had allocated funds for getting the first new tires I've had since '95. I went to the Dunlop tent and stood in line for 30 minutes while incompetents took orders and when I finally got up there, I asked when the next appointment was and they said 6:30 that night... I said 'see ya'.

Then I spied the Avon tent and went over there. They had this knarley looking fat sport rear tire sitting there and I first asked if they were booked for the day, and they said "Congratulations, YOU are the next appointment". I bought a set of Azaro's, which are a new model, and I had to read up on them when I got home. The mags seem to like them and they are considered a little higher quality than what I intended to buy. So that cost me almost $350, which is quite a bit cheaper than at a dealer.

Next, Joann found a jacket she liked -- the model that replaced my current jacket -- and she bought it. She has wanted a good jacket since she started riding, and recently came to terms with the cost. Plus, she hates the one she has been using, and vowed to get a good one. That went $470+. They tell you that you are getting a 10 percent show discount.

Next, we hit the Corbin Saddles display where she bought a replacement seat for her bike. This is the first thing to do as factory seats are board hard and poorly contoured. Another buck-70. Then we went inside the big tent where I got a pair of sunglasses for $40. Then she bought me a pair of light gloves for my upcoming birthday for $50 (just like the ones she got last year; did I mention she is having a set of riding boots made by Z Custom Leathers...). All totaled we spent about $1200  that day by the time we got that last ice cream cone at a place along the way on the ride home. A $atisfying day.

So at this point we got some hot dogs and then went back to RBR for our 13:25 Kawasaki ride. I ended up right behind the ZX7 in line, which was being ridden by a woman, who came over to me as we were suiting up, and said she slows down for the turns a little, so I should be aware of that... Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to this. Over the loudspeaker inside my head I hear: "Flagman assist through corners 3, 7, 8... please".... She wasn't that bad, and the pace wasn't too extreme, so she kept up okay.

I love beating the little 600 as it turns quicker than mine, or at least gives that impression because it's lighter than my bike, or at least gives that impression because it's painted green, or something. 5 years running, the most fun I've have has been on ZX6's. When we got back, I was talking about the bikes with the woman on the ZX7, and she said it was too radical for her. She owns a ZX6E now and wants to get something bigger, but doesn't know what. She had ridden the ZX7 2 days in a row, by virtue of being in line at 7:15.

It was about 14:00 at that point, so we ate more hot dogs. We strolled up to the Beemer place for the 15:00 ride, and sure 'nuff, a no-show. There were 2 of us standing there, and by virtue of the fact that the guy wrote #2 standby on our paper when we were there in the morning, and the other person was #4, we  got the ride. The other vendors don't bother with this numbering, and otherwise I'm sure we would not have gotten the bike as he was standing there first.

So, they are running 3 strings of bikes with a lead and chase rider, sent out at the about the same time on the same route. About 30 bikes in all. They, unlike the other vendors, go for a 40 mile ride. The woman leading our group was saying that we would be on a variety of roads, and that we could choose to stay up with her or not, as we wanted or could. Hmph. Okay. Interesting. Later found out she was a rider for one of the factory race teams. She was faaaaaast. I was the bike right behind her. Unfortunately, hers looked impressive and mine looked like some Paris-to-Dakar on/off road deal. We pulled out and after some time, hit some very nice roads, and the pace was pretty lively. I'm sure that everyone behind me was grumbling in their helmets, dreading getting stuck behind the ugly bike with 2 people on it, but fear not, as I was keeping the pace, and far better than the rest were behind us as they kept fading in my mirrors. Our leader rode very aggressively. This was in total contradiction to all the other vendors, who mostly kept to the speed limit and said absolutely no passing in ranks. BMW flaunted the speed limit and said we could pass.

At one point, we came upon 2 bikes from the first line (we were second) who were going too damned slow and were wrecking what was until that point, a real good ride. To my unbelieving surprise, our fearless leader hit her directional and smoked them on a short strip of passing lane. I instinctively went with her, but no one else had time. She took it right up to 90 and we put the others behind us well out of site. I was impressed (as was everyone else) with my ability to get this pig, which looked like it should be plowing a garden somewhere, up to that pace, particularly with Joann on the back.

At the halfway point, we stopped for 10 minutes and were allowed to change bikes, and several people wanted mine. I was under the impression that it was a 650, since it resembled several 650's in the lineup that I passed as we were searching for our assigned bike at RBR, but it turned up to be an 1100, which just felt like the power of a metric 650. I traded with a guy who had some other 1100, which was a sportbike and at least looked like a viable motorcycle, and did turn out to be better than the first one. When we did the last 20 miles, I was now in 4th position and the group of us 4 left everyone else behind, again, at 90+. Best manufacturer’s ride I've ever been on.

At that point it was after 4 o'clock and we started home. A good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment